New Mexico

A visit of some cities and places in New Mexico: Las Cruces, Alamogordo and the Very Large Array.

Parenté : Amérique United States


Alamogordo

Alamogordo is located on the Tularosa Basin, which is important in the history of spatial conquest, with the Holloman Air Force Base and the White Sands Missile Range (8300 km², established in 1945 to test the rocket technology). Because of missile tests by this facility, the U.S. highway 70 is sometimes closed, as well as the White Sands dunes drive.

The space museum

This museum exhibits a large number of rockets, missiles and rocket engines. Close to this museum is the burial site of HAM, the first "astrochimp", launched in a Mercury capsule on January 31st 1961 and successfuly returned to ground, three months before the first manned flight of the NASA.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 75 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: rocket on a truck. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 62 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: various rockets. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 101 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: tail of a V2 rocket. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 73 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: rocket. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 102 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: F-1 rocket engine. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 85 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: rockets. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 57 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: various rockets.

Inside the 4-floor building are exhibited several objects, samples and models that explain the history of the conquest of space. It contains interesting animations and posters, detailing the exploration of space by satellites and manned missions, how man lives, eats and works in space and how rockets fly.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 136 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: space mission badges. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 121 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: various rockets. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 81 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: box for Moon rock samples. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 48 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: Moon rock sample. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 55 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: size comparison of space modules. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: flying bomb. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 84 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: the International Space Station. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 98 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: space food samples. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: Apollo fuel cell. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 69 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: Sovietic space suit. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 69 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: American space suit. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 79 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: portable life support system. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 46 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: Skylab toilet. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 85 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: 1:48 Skylab scale model. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 82 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: rocket engine. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 45 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: launch vehicles. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 82 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: various rockets. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 68 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: alpha model rocket. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 46 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: the American space shuttle. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 52 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: satellite model. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 76 Kio] Alamogordo - The Museum of Space History: life capsule of HAM, the space chimp.

Saint Jude's mission

Saint Jude's mission is a quite modern and welcoming church, with beautiful stained glass windows.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 51 Kio] Alamogordo - Saint Jude's mission: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 68 Kio] Alamogordo - Saint Jude's mission: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 49 Kio] Alamogordo - Saint Jude's mission: stained glass window. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 40 Kio] Alamogordo - Saint Jude's mission: stained glass windows. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 32 Kio] Alamogordo - Saint Jude's mission: stained glass windows. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 67 Kio] Alamogordo - Saint Jude's mission: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 74 Kio] Alamogordo - Saint Jude's mission: the orchestra. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Alamogordo - Saint Jude's mission: the baptismal font.

White Sands

This 580-km² dunefield is located in the Tularosa Basin (15 000 km², dominated by Sierra Blanca which is 3650 meters high). Along with Guadalupe Mountains National Park (a 350-km² park) and the Área de protección de Flora y Fauna Cuatrociénegas, it forms one of the three protected dunefields of the Chihuahuan Desert and was established in 1933. The visitor's center, an adobe brick building, was completed in 1938.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 86 Kio] White Sands - The visitor's center.

The white color of the sand is due to its chemical composition: it is made of gypsum, which can dissolve in water, and comes from the evaporation of a former sea.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 168 Kio] White Sands - Dunes: detail. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 92 Kio] White Sands - Dunes. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 132 Kio] White Sands - Dunes: bird footsteps. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 38 Kio] White Sands - Dunes at sunset. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 36 Kio] White Sands - Mountains at sunset. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 29 Kio] White Sands - People on dunes at sunset. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 20 Kio] White Sands - People and dunes at sunset. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] White Sands - Dunes at sunrise. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 51 Kio] White Sands - Dunes and mountains at sunrise. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 122 Kio] White Sands - Dunes: detail. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 33 Kio] White Sands - Mountains at sunrise. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] White Sands - Dunes and mountains at sunrise. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 119 Kio] White Sands - Dunes at sunrise. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 41 Kio] White Sands - Dunes at sunrise. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] White Sands - Dunes at sunrise.

Some plants (such as acacias, mesquite trees, yuccas, agaves and cactuses) and animals (jack-rabbit, cottontails, foxes, coyotes, deers, roadrunners, turkey-vultures, rattlesnakes et tarentulas) manage to live in this environment.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 94 Kio] White Sands - Plants in the dunes. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 82 Kio] White Sands - Plants in the dunes. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 169 Kio] White Sands - Plants in the dunes: detail. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 81 Kio] White Sands - Flowering plant in the dunes. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 46 Kio] White Sands - Flowering plant in the dunes: detail. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 63 Kio] White Sands - Flowering plant in the dunes: detail.

Albuquerque

The Saint John's Episcopal cathedral and the First Methodist Episcopal church are located close to each other in the downtown.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 85 Kio] Albuquerque - The Saint John's Episcopal cathedral. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 69 Kio] Albuquerque - The First Methodist Episcopal church.

San Felipe de Neri church

The initial church of San Felipe de Neri was founded in 1706 by a Franciscan priest. It was finished in 1719 and collapsed in 1792. The new, and current, church was constructed in 1793 in adobe and the two towers were added in 1861. In 1878, the Jesuits built a school for boys adjacent to the church and in 1881, a convent was added for the Sisters of Charity who stayed until the 1970s. The church was restored in 1916 and 1995.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 93 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 76 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 64 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 74 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: the nave and the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 78 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 65 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: the altar of Virgin Mary. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 64 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: the altar of Saint Joseph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 75 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: the retable. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 73 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: the choir: the ceiling. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: the pulpit. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 65 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: the entrance and the tribune. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 157 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: the garden. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 108 Kio] Albuquerque - The church of San Felipe de Neri: statue of Virgin Mary.

Petroglyph National Monument

This hill in the suburb of Albuquerque possesses several black basalt rocks on which petroglyphs have been carved between 1300 and 1600. They probably had religious meanings.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 104 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 122 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 135 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 132 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 129 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 149 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 91 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 116 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 111 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 165 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 119 Kio] Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument: petroglyph.

Gallup

Gallup is well-known for its murals. One of them represents the Navaro code talkers that had some importance during the Second World War.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 73 Kio] Gallup - Building in the downtown. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 122 Kio] Gallup - General view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 81 Kio] Gallup - Houses. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 96 Kio] Gallup - Street. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 71 Kio] Gallup - Fresco. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 75 Kio] Gallup - Fresco.

Sacred-Heart cathedral

This cathedral was built in 1955 on a paris church, built in 1916, which became a cathedral when the diocese was created, in 1939.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 66 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 93 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: side view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 92 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 85 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 74 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: Crucifix in the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 62 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: the entrance. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: stained glass windows. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 63 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: stained glass window. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 75 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: stained glass window representing Our Lady of Guadalupe. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 63 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: stained glass window representing the Wedding Feast of Cana. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 70 Kio] Gallup - The Sacred Heart cathedral: stained glass window representing Virgin Mary.

Saint Francis's church

The church of Saint Francis of Assisi is a modern church, associated with a school.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 68 Kio] Gallup - Saint Francis of Assisi's church: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] Gallup - Saint Francis of Assisi's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 78 Kio] Gallup - Saint Francis of Assisi's church: statue of Virgin Mary.

Las Cruces

Las Cruces and Mesilla belong to a territory which was claimed by both the United States and Mexico after the Mexican-American War. The dispute was resolved in 1853 by the US buying the land to Mexico. The railroad arrived in 1881.

Las Cruces is the second-biggest city in New Mexico, with about 100 000 inhabitants in 2011 (215 000 for the metropolitan area), after Albuquerque. It became a diocesisin 1982. The new city hall was opened in 2010.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 79 Kio] Las Cruces - The city hall. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] Las Cruces - The city hall.

The cathedral

The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, constructed from September 1965 to May 1966 in modern style, was itinially a parish church. It became the cathedral of the Diocese of Las Cruces in 1982.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 71 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 70 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the nave and the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 65 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 77 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 50 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: stained glass windows representing fishes. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 40 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: stained glass windows representing fishes. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 49 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 55 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 69 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 82 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the baptismal font. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 44 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: statue of Jesus Christ. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 45 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: statue of Virgin Mary with Jesus. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 60 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the coats of arms of the bishop. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 60 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the Holy Sacrement chapel. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 63 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the Holy Sacrement chapel: stained glass window representing Jesus Christ. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 64 Kio] Las Cruces - The cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: the Holy Sacrement chapel: stained glass window representing Virgin Mary.

Our Lady of Health church

This church was constructed between 1993 and 1996 on a smaller chapel of the local mission, dedicated in 1956.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 84 Kio] Las Cruces - Our Lady of Health's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] Las Cruces - Our Lady of Health's church: the front side. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 57 Kio] Las Cruces - Our Lady of Health's church: the front side: detail. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 45 Kio] Las Cruces - Our Lady of Health's church: statue. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 61 Kio] Las Cruces - Our Lady of Health's church: the back side. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 81 Kio] Las Cruces - Our Lady of Health's church: the rectory.

The State University

The New Mexico State University was founded in 1888 to teach agriculture and, later, mechanics. It enrolls about 20 000 students in 2009.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 41 Kio] Las Cruces - The campus of the New Mexico State University. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 55 Kio] Las Cruces - The campus of the New Mexico State University. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] Las Cruces - The campus of the New Mexico State University.

The old station

A first wooden depot was built in this place in 1881. It was replaced in 1910 by a brick building with separated men's and women's waiting rooms. The passengers service stopped in 1968 and the freight service in 1988.

The railroad station of Las Cruces is no longer desserved by trains; the rails are now used as a switching area. However, it is still possible to visit the depot since it has been transformed into a museum.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 98 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station: wagon. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 80 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station: rails and wagon. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station: wagons. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 84 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station: wagons. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 74 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 69 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 85 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station: an old wagon. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 125 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station: an old wagon. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 78 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station: water tower.

The museum contains a very nice model train and several objects that relate to the history of railroad transport in New Mexico.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 63 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station museum: model of a steam locomotive. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 130 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station museum: model train. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 124 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station museum: model train. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 73 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station museum: size comparison of model trains. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] Las Cruces - The old station museum: the old waiting room.

Aguirre Springs

Aguirre Springs is located on the East side of Organ Mountains which height reaches 2700 m. A trails lead to a mountain pass from which one can see Las Cruces.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 70 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 79 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs: White Sands Missile Range. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 147 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 89 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 107 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 89 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 104 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 91 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 114 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 73 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 87 Kio] Organ Mountains - Aguirre Springs.

Santa Fe

Saint Francis cathedral

This cathedral, built between 1869 and 1886, is also a basilica. On the front of it is a labyrinth.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 110 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 108 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the main door. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 121 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the main door. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 99 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the labyrinth. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 122 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: statue of Saint Francis. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 140 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: statue of Saint Kateri Tekakwitha. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 99 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: statue of Virgin Mary Conquistadora. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 86 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 90 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 78 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the retable. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 88 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the cathedra. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 82 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the ambo. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 92 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the entrance and the pipe organ. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 98 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 98 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: pillar. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 78 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: element of the Way of the Cross. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 76 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the oils. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 90 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the baptismal font. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 97 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the baptismal font. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the pipe organ. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 122 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the rose. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 90 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: stained glass window representing Saint Mark. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: stained glass window representing Saint Matthew. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 76 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: stained glass window representing young Jesus in the Temple. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 94 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: stained glass windows. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 95 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: retable. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 131 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: statue of Virgin Mary. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 95 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: retable. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the chapel of the Holy Sacrement: stained glass window representing the Bread. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 76 Kio] Santa Fe - Saint Francis cathedral: the chapel of the Holy Sacrement: stained glass window representing the Wine.

Churches

Loretto chapel

Four Sisters of Loretto arrived in Santa Fe in 1852 and created the first school for women in New Mexico, Our Lady of Light Academy. Between 1863 and 1879, they raised funds to build the Loretto chapel as their convent chapel.

The construction of the chapel began in 1872. Its is a gothic revival style church that looks like the "Sainte-Chapelle" in Paris. It is well known for its wooden spiral staircase, built without nails and without a central pole. The identity of its carpenter is not known and as it was built by an unknown benevolent man in a very short time after the sisters prayed for Saint Joseph's intercession, it is attributed to Saint Joseph himself.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 95 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 52 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 90 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: the choir and the retable. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 86 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: the choir and the retable. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 63 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: statue of Virgin Mary. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 63 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: statue of Saint Joseph with Child Jesus. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 73 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: statue of the Sacred-Heart of Jesus. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: stained glass window. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 74 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: stained glass window. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 39 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: stained glass windows. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 88 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: the entrance and the spiral staircase. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 78 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: the spiral staircase: detail. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 80 Kio] Santa Fe - The Loretto chapel: the spiral staircase.

Mission San Miguel

This church was built in the 19th century on the ruins of the mission Nuestra Senora de Socorro, which was built there in 1626 and destroyed in 1680.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 67 Kio] Santa Fe - Mission San Miguel. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 54 Kio] Santa Fe - Mission San Miguel.

Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe

This church is located near the train station.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 52 Kio] Santa Fe - The church of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Other places

The governor's palace

This adobe building, located on the plaza of the city was built in 1610 for the Spanish governor Pedro de Peralta. It is now a museum.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 76 Kio] Santa Fe - The governor's palace: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 77 Kio] Santa Fe - The governor's palace: the entrance.

The Rio Grande

Near Santa Fe, a bridge crosses the Rio Grande which flows in a very impressive canyon.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 69 Kio] New Mexico - The Rio Grande: bridge. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 102 Kio] New Mexico - The Rio Grande. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 98 Kio] New Mexico - The Rio Grande: bridge. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 90 Kio] New Mexico - The Rio Grande.

Taos

Taos Pueblo

San Geronimo church

This magnificent little church in adobe is dedicated to Saint Jerome. Near it remain the ruins of a former chapel, inside a cemetery.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] Taos Pueblo - The church of San Geronimo: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 56 Kio] Taos Pueblo - The church of San Geronimo: the patio wall. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 52 Kio] Taos Pueblo - The church of San Geronimo: back view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 61 Kio] Taos Pueblo - The church of San Geronimo: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 80 Kio] Taos Pueblo - The church of San Geronimo: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 67 Kio] Taos Pueblo - The church of San Geronimo: the choir: detail. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 77 Kio] Taos Pueblo - The church of San Geronimo: the entrance and the tribune. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 84 Kio] Taos Pueblo - The church of San Geronimo: the main door. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 94 Kio] Taos Pueblo - The church of San Geronimo: the old chapel and the cemetery. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Taos Pueblo - The church of San Geronimo: the old chapel: the bell tower.

Other places

Very Large Array

This research center is constituted of 27 antennas used as a radiotelescope. Each antenna is 25 m wide and weights 230 t. The antennas are disposed on rails forming a Y which branches, on which they can move, extend up to 21 km around the control center. So, they behave as a single antenna with a diameter of 36 km.

The project is founded by the National Science Foundation for 78.6 million dollars. It was planned in the 1960s and the installation on the site began in 1974 and ended in 1981. The first antenna was completed in 1975.

Its purpose is to study the galaxies, pulsars, stars, planet and black holes, in non-visible frequency ranges. It does not participate the SETI project, opposedly to what was shown in the movie Contact in 1997.

The VLA is located on this site to benefit from the large and flat plains and is protected by the mountains from a lot of interferences. It is said that if a mobile phone was put on the surface of the Moon, it would be the most visible object in the sky!

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 87 Kio] New Mexico - The Very Large Array: the control center. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 71 Kio] New Mexico - The Very Large Array: view from the road. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] New Mexico - The Very Large Array: view from the road. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] New Mexico - The Very Large Array: group of antennas. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] New Mexico - The Very Large Array: group of antennas. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 53 Kio] New Mexico - The Very Large Array: antenna. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] New Mexico - The Very Large Array: antenna. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] New Mexico - The Very Large Array: antenna. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 87 Kio] New Mexico - The Very Large Array: antenna: detail. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 113 Kio] New Mexico - The Very Large Array: antenna: detail.

Small cities

Aragon

Aragon is a village located on the site of former Fort Tularosa. Its church is called "Santo Niño".

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 132 Kio] Aragon - Trees and snow. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 106 Kio] Aragon - Bushes. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 81 Kio] Aragon - Road and mountains. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 195 Kio] Aragon - The river. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 67 Kio] Aragon - Santo Niño church.

Caballo

This city is mainly known for its lake.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 66 Kio] Caballo - The lake.

Cerrillos

This small village has a few old houses located near a church and railroad tracks.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 77 Kio] Cerrillos - Street. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 67 Kio] Cerrillos - Street. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 88 Kio] Cerrillos - House.

Saint Joseph's church is an adobe structure, built in 1922 under the direction of a Franciscan father. Cerrillos became a parish in 1939 and Fray Angelico Chavez served there from 1960 to 1964.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 60 Kio] Cerrillos - Saint Joseph's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Cerrillos - Saint Joseph's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 56 Kio] Cerrillos - Saint Joseph's church: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 75 Kio] Cerrillos - Saint Joseph's church: the shrine of Mary Mediatrix of all Graces.

Corrales

San Ysidro's church is an very nice moderne church. Its interior contains interesting work of art, such as a patchwork tapestry and a retable of naive art.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 65 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 61 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 50 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 133 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: stained glass window. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 79 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 89 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 69 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: retable. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 74 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: stained glass window. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 82 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: stained glass window. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 51 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: crucifix. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Corrales - The church of San Ysidro: patchwork work.

Datil

Datil is a very small village with abandoned houses at the intersection of U.S. Route 60 and New Mexico State Road 12, near the Cibola National Forest.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 82 Kio] Datil - Farm and windmill. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 112 Kio] Datil - Abandoned house. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 124 Kio] Datil - Abandoned motel.

It has three churches, one presbyterian, one baptist and one catholic: the church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 69 Kio] Datil - The church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 69 Kio] Datil - The church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary: statue.

Deming

This small city located Southwest of New Mexico, in the Luna county, has a beautiful court. The former station has been transformed into a visitor's center, in front of which is an old steam train.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 81 Kio] Deming - The Luna county court. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] Deming - The former station and current visitor's center. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 105 Kio] Deming - The former station and current visitor's center: steam locomotive. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 93 Kio] Deming - The former station and current visitor's center: steam locomotive.

The church of the Holy Family is a modern church with a high bell tower.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] Deming - The church of the Holy Family: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 56 Kio] Deming - The church of the Holy Family: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 54 Kio] Deming - The church of the Holy Family: side view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] Deming - The church of the Holy Family: door.

Saint-Anne's church has a Spanish mission-revival style. In front of it is a low-relief of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 49 Kio] Deming - Saint-Anne's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 63 Kio] Deming - Saint-Anne's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 56 Kio] Deming - Saint-Anne's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 41 Kio] Deming - Saint-Anne's church: general view.

Española

The church of Our Lady of Guadalupe is a modern church with a very high roof.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] Española - The church of Our Lady of Guadalupe: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 96 Kio] Española - The church of Our Lady of Guadalupe: back view.

Glenwood

This town is located along the San Francisco River in the Gila National Forest. A trail leads to the hot springs. Another one, the Catwalk, to the Whitewater creek canyon.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 133 Kio] Glenwood - Mountain. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 116 Kio] Glenwood - The Catwalk. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 142 Kio] Glenwood - The Catwalk. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 141 Kio] Glenwood - The river. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 70 Kio] Glenwood - Mountains near San Francisco River Hot Springs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 88 Kio] Glenwood - Santo Niño church.

A fish hatchery raises rainbow trouts and release them in a pond.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 109 Kio] Glenwood - Fish hatchery: rainbow trouts. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 121 Kio] Glenwood - Fish hatchery. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 88 Kio] Glenwood - Fish hatchery. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 93 Kio] Glenwood - Fish hatchery: pond.

Golden

Golden is a ghost town with ruins which are remnants of mining buildings.

San Francisco's church was built in the 1830s and restored by Fray Angelico Chavez in 1960.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 95 Kio] Golden - San Francisco's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 87 Kio] Golden - San Francisco's church: general view.

Hatch

This city was established in 1851 and abandoned in 1853 and 1860. Its original name was Santa Barbara. In 1875, it was occupied again and renamed after a military general.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 48 Kio] Hatch - The city center: the post office. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 66 Kio] Hatch - The city center: restaurant. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] Hatch - The city center: the city hall. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 66 Kio] Hatch - The city center: the police headquarters.

The church of Our Lord of Mercy was constructed in 1963. In the court of the house of the priest, just near it, is a low-relief of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 60 Kio] Hatch - The church of Our Lord of Mercy: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 57 Kio] Hatch - The church of Our Lord of Mercy: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 71 Kio] Hatch - The church of Our Lord of Mercy: the rectory: detail. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 52 Kio] Hatch - The church of Our Lord of Mercy: the rectory.

Jemez Pueblo

The church of Our Lady of the Assumption is a nice small church with a statue of Virgin Mary with Jesus Child in front of it.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 75 Kio] Jemez Pueblo - The church of Our Lady of the Assumption: general view.

Las Trempas

The church of San José de Gracia is a magnificent adobe church and was built in 1760. The village was founded just a few years before, in 1751.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 77 Kio] Las Trempas - The church of San José de Gracia: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Las Trempas - The church of San José de Gracia: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 68 Kio] Las Trempas - The church of San José de Gracia: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 68 Kio] Las Trempas - The church of San José de Gracia: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 79 Kio] Las Trempas - The church of San José de Gracia: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 51 Kio] Las Trempas - The church of San José de Gracia: top of a tower. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 82 Kio] Las Trempas - The church of San José de Gracia: the door. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 90 Kio] Las Trempas - The church of San José de Gracia: detail.

Los Lunas

Saint Clement's church is a modern building, constructed between 1949 and 1952. It has a remarkable choir providing light from above on the Crucifix and the altar. Statues such as the Holy Family and Saint Clement are very nice.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 44 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 66 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: back view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 66 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: the bell tower. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 78 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: the nave and the baptismal font. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 73 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 65 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: the nave and the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 67 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 69 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 77 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 88 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: the tabernacle. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 80 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 62 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: statue of the Holy Family. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: statue of Saint Clement. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 55 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: statue of Saint Anthony. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 109 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: station of the Way of the Cross. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 67 Kio] Los Lunas - Saint Clement's church: the oils.

Magdalena

This village of about 1000 inhabitants is located near the site of the old Kelly mine. It is named after a local mountain.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 64 Kio] Magdalena - The Family Christian Center. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 77 Kio] Magdalena - The landscape. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 86 Kio] Magdalena - The landscape.

Mesilla

The city of Mesilla is very close to Las Cruces. The center is like a small village, with Mexican-style houses and shops.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Mesilla - The village: main square. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 100 Kio] Mesilla - The village: street. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 46 Kio] Mesilla - The village: street. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 138 Kio] Mesilla - The village: house. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 118 Kio] Mesilla - The village: house. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 135 Kio] Mesilla - The village: the cemetery.

San Albino's church, built in 1906, was erected as a basilica by Pope Benedict XVI on November 1st 2008.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 62 Kio] Mesilla - San Albino's basilica: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 88 Kio] Mesilla - San Albino's basilica: the side. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 100 Kio] Mesilla - San Albino's basilica: the front. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 95 Kio] Mesilla - San Albino's basilica: the front. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 70 Kio] Mesilla - San Albino's basilica: the side. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 61 Kio] Mesilla - San Albino's basilica: the side. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 165 Kio] Mesilla - San Albino's basilica: dedication to the unborn children.

Nambe

The church of the Sacred Heart is an impressive adobe building. In the cemetery next to it, one of the tombs has the same shape as the church!

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 50 Kio] Nambe - The church of the Sacred Heart: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 53 Kio] Nambe - The church of the Sacred Heart: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 130 Kio] Nambe - The church of the Sacred Heart: the cemetery. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 134 Kio] Nambe - The church of the Sacred Heart: the cemetery.

Peñasco

The church of San Antonio is a modern building with interesting work of art inside, such as an original representation of the Holy Family and an ancient wooden retable.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 67 Kio] Peñasco - The church of San Antonio: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 61 Kio] Peñasco - The church of San Antonio: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 68 Kio] Peñasco - The church of San Antonio: the nave and the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 64 Kio] Peñasco - The church of San Antonio: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 80 Kio] Peñasco - The church of San Antonio: retable. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 56 Kio] Peñasco - The church of San Antonio: statue of the Holy Family. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 67 Kio] Peñasco - The church of San Antonio: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 79 Kio] Peñasco - The church of San Antonio: representation of Virgin Mary holding a Rosary. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 71 Kio] Peñasco - The church of San Antonio: stained glass window representing Saint Anthony. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] Peñasco - The church of San Antonio: station of the Way of the Cross.

Ranchos de Taos

San Francisco de Asís church is an adobe building with large walls and small windows. The inside is rather dark and contains magnificent wooden retables.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 89 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 75 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 134 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: the patio. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 55 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 55 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 53 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: back view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 49 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: back view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 61 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: side view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: the entrance and the tribune. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 88 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 100 Kio] Ranchos de Taos - San Francisco de Asís church: retable.

Reserve

This small city is the place of a famous gunfight between Elfego Baca and cowboys in 1884.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 76 Kio] Reserve - The Catron County Courthouse. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 75 Kio] Reserve - The main street. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 64 Kio] Reserve - The main street. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 66 Kio] Reserve - The main street. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 124 Kio] Reserve - Statue of Elfego Baca.

Salem

In Salem, a small oratory is constructed on the side of the main road.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 51 Kio] Salem - The oratory: the outside. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 91 Kio] Salem - The oratory: the inside.

San Antonio

San Antonio's church is served by the priest from San Miguel's church in Socorro.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] San Antonio, New Mexico - San Antonio's church.

Socorro

San Miguel's church is a wonderful adobe building with a small patio in front of it. The house of the priest, just near the church is also very nice and made of adobe.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 65 Kio] Socorro - San Miguel's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] Socorro - San Miguel's church: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] Socorro - San Miguel's church: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] Socorro - San Miguel's church: front view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 56 Kio] Socorro - San Miguel's church: side view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 79 Kio] Socorro - San Miguel's church: statue of Virgin Mary and Child Jesus. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 100 Kio] Socorro - San Miguel's church: the rectory. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 81 Kio] Socorro - San Miguel's church: the rectory.

Three Rivers

This place, located in the Tularosa Basin, near the Sacramento Mountains, is known for its petroglyph hill. The Tularosa Basin has been inhabited for at least 10 000 years by people hunting bison, mammoths and camels. Close to this hill, a old native American village was partially excavated. It belonged to the Jornada Mogollon people, a native American tribe, who lived about 1000 years ago. They planted corn since about 300 BC and also beans and squash. The mountains around provided them with permanent water streams. Some houses had adobe surfaces and the dead were burried under the floors of the houses. The village was abandoned for unknown reasons around 1400 AD.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 90 Kio] Three Rivers - The school. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 106 Kio] Three Rivers - The valley. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 73 Kio] Three Rivers - The mountains. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 107 Kio] Three Rivers - Old village house. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 139 Kio] Three Rivers - Old village house. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 104 Kio] Three Rivers - Old village house. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 165 Kio] Three Rivers - Old village house.

About 21000 petroglyphs have been counted on the hill. They are believed to be rock art of the Jornada Mogollon. They represent human faces or masks and hand prints, birds, reptiles, fishes, animal tracks, corn, clouds and geometrical shapes. They were carved with stone tools by removing the dark patina (oxidated layer) to the light inner layer of the rock.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 148 Kio] Three Rivers - Petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 110 Kio] Three Rivers - Petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 130 Kio] Three Rivers - Petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 83 Kio] Three Rivers - Petroglyphs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 92 Kio] Three Rivers - Petroglyphs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 105 Kio] Three Rivers - Petroglyphs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 97 Kio] Three Rivers - Petroglyphs. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 149 Kio] Three Rivers - Petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 119 Kio] Three Rivers - Petroglyph. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 129 Kio] Three Rivers - Petroglyph.

Truchas

The former mission of the Holy Rosary was built in 1764.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 72 Kio] Truchas - The former mission of the Holy Rosary. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 63 Kio] Truchas - The former mission of the Holy Rosary. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 78 Kio] Truchas - The former mission of the Holy Rosary.

The new church of the Holy Rosary was built in 1965.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 100 Kio] Truchas - The new church of the Holy Rosary. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 62 Kio] Truchas - The new church of the Holy Rosary.

Truth or Consequences

Initially called Hot Springs, this city was renamed after a radio program in 1950. It is known for its hot springs, obtained from wells or flowing free.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 64 Kio] Truth or Consequences - Painted tank.

The modern church of Our Lady of the Perpetual Help has a neoroman style.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 59 Kio] Truth or Consequences - The church of Our Lady of the Perpetual Help. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 50 Kio] Truth or Consequences - The church of Our Lady of the Perpetual Help. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 70 Kio] Truth or Consequences - The church of Our Lady of the Perpetual Help.

Tularosa

This village hosts the Rose festival.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 87 Kio] Tularosa - The village hall.

Saint Francis de Paula's church is a magnificent small church, built in 1865, with white walls, three bells on its front side and a replica of Lourdes cave. Inside, there is a statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe and a few statues in the transept.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 86 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 103 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 82 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 111 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: Lourdes cave replica. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 77 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: the door. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 77 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 62 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: Our Lady of Guadalupe. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 60 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 68 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: stained glass window. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 44 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: statues. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 53 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: the Virgin's altar. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 56 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: the choir. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 88 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: the Sacred Heart's altar. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 66 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: the nave. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 84 Kio] Tularosa - Saint Francis de Paula's church: the nave.

Valles Caldera

This village is located on a road between two ranges of red mountains with strange shapes.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 97 Kio] Valles Caldera - The mountains.

The church of Saint Mary Mother of the Priests is a modern white building.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 86 Kio] Valles Caldera - The church of Saint Mary Mother of the Priests: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] Valles Caldera - The church of Saint Mary Mother of the Priests: metallic sculpture of Virgin Mary with Child Jesus.

Zia Pueblo

San Ysidro's church is an adobe building with a blue door and a roof made of silver-color zinc tiles.

[Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] Zia Pueblo - The church of San Ysidro: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 58 Kio] Zia Pueblo - The church of San Ysidro: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 78 Kio] Zia Pueblo - The church of San Ysidro: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 60 Kio] Zia Pueblo - The church of San Ysidro: general view. [Cliquez pour agrandir : 70 Kio] Zia Pueblo - The church of San Ysidro: side view.


Cette page en anglais a été créée par Peter à partir de notes de voyage, le 15 février 2013 et modifiée pour la dernière fois le 24 août 2016. Son avancement est noté 3/3.